BIOMETRIC VOTER REGISTRATION (BVR)
What is Biometric Voter Registration (BVR)?
The enrolment infrastructure allows collecting and maintaining a database of the biometric templates for all voters and to ensure there are no duplicates.
Why is ZEC taking finger prints when they are not going to be used on voting day?
What will happen to the old Voters' Roll? Will there be a totally new voter register?
What does the number on the voter registration slip represent?
- The first 4 digits are the serial number of the BVR machine on which the voter‘s fingerprints and photo were taken when he or she registered to vote. The serial number is important so that if a person claims he registered but their name is not on the Voters’ Roll, they can show their registration slip and a ZEC officer can check the machine on which they registered to see what if anything went wrong.
- The next four digits show the date on which the person registered, i.e. the day and the month.
- The next four show the time, e.g. 14.30.
- The last digit is a random number from 0 to 9 to make the series of digits up to 13 which the machines are set to read.
Proof of Residence
Why Proof of Residence? What is its purpose? What about the majority of youths in urban areas who are renting and do not own property?
Proof of Residence is a legal requirement and is meant to allocate an eligible voter a particular Polling Station where they will cast their ballot as stated in Section 157 (1)(b) of the Constitution as read with section 23 of the Electoral Act [Chapter 2:13]. This is also necessary because the country has adopted Polling Station specific Voters’ Roll and voting.
What can be used as a Proof of Residence?
- Sworn-in affidavit form
- Utility bills in your name
- Credit statements in your name
- Letter from the landlord
- Letter from employer
- Letter parents confirming that you reside with them
- Lodger’s permit
- Title deeds
- Certificate of occupation
- Letter with Post Office markings reflecting your address
- Letter from village head or chief confirming your residence
- Clinic card
- Letter from the mine owner
- Letter from your Pastor